New Dynamic YouTube Gallery - Embed YouTube Playlist, Channel, Live Stream in minutes. Read More

Video autoplays on desktop but not on smartphone

• Bill Teague
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Video autoplays on desktop but not on smartphone was created by Bill Teague

See  https://www.twickenham.org/stageit/ on desktop and phone,. It has an AVS player as the first featured module, set to autoplay. It works on the desktop on initial load, but if you refresh, you have to manually restart it. And on my Android phone, it never autostarts. 
I'm more concerned about the phone. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Bill
3 years 2 months ago #9793

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1451

Replied by Administrator on topic Video autoplays on desktop but not on smartphone

In reality, the videos are decoded and played in the browser itself and we just add a wrapper to the browser's video player. So, we should always adapt to the browser's restrictions.

The "Autoplay" feature is not guaranteed to work 100% as the browsers apply several restrictions on this particular feature.

For example, Autoplay will not work in mobiles and this restriction comes from the Mobile OS itself. And, this feature worked well with Desktop browsers before. But, this is an OLD story and the desktop browsers have also changed their Autoplay behavior recently. Please check this article developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/0...oplay-policy-changes

In short, the video Autoplay (In Chrome & Safari) will work only when you open the video page by clicking a link inside your website. If you're using Firefox, make sure that you have not blocked it from the browser settings. More details can be found here blog.mozilla.org/firefox/block-autoplay/

But, as an exception all the latest browser versions (including mobile) support muted autoplay (Volume turned OFF). I promise our next version will support this muted autoplay. Please be patient.
3 years 2 months ago #9794

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds

We accept cookies to provide you the best viewing experience. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies